WE PROVIDE FREE OR CUSTOMIZED TRAINING EXPERIENCES
We’re a nonprofit on a mission to end harassment — in all its forms.
We believe that everyone deserves the resources to respond to, prevent, and intervene in instances of harassment. We provide customized training experiences for businesses, organizations, schools, and colleges — and use any revenue earned, combined with generous donations from people like you, to accelerate efforts to end harassment and provide free trainings to the general public.
We have proven methodologies in the areas of bystander intervention, conflict de-escalation, harassment prevention, and resilience. We give much of what we’ve learned away in our free trainings, but to protect the integrity of our work we ask that you not use or re-purpose our methodologies without permission.
Below you’ll find a menu of our trainings, methodologies, and links to where you can learn more and get trained:
Bystander Intervention Trainings
Hollaback! teaches bystander intervention using our proven 5D’s methodology: Distract, Delegate, Document, Delay, and Direct. Exit polls show that 98% of people we train leave confident they will intervene next time they witness disrespect or harassment. Here are specific trainings in this space that we offer:
- FREE BYSTANDER INTERVENTION TO ADDRESS GENDER-BASED STREET HARASSMENT. In 2020, Hollaback! and L’Oréal Paris join forces to ensure everyone’s self-worth, leveraging Hollaback!’s 5 D’s methodology to help people safely intervene when they experience or witness harassment in public spaces.The goal of the Stand Up program is to train 1,000,000 people to become Upstanders before the end of 2021 and ultimately build a culture where street harassment is seen as unacceptable behavior. Sign up for free training and learn more.
- BYSTANDER INTERVENTION IN THE WORKPLACE. We will equip your employees with the right information on how to be an effective bystander in the midst of workplace harassment. Sign up for a free mini-training and learn more.
- BYSTANDER INTERVENTION TO STOP POLICE SPONSORED VIOLENCE AND ANTI-BLACK RACIST HARASSMENT. In response to continued police violence against black communities and the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery, Hollaback! Is offering this free, one-hour, interactive training to train people on how to safely intervene in the face of police violence and anti-black racism using Hollaback!’s 5D’s of bystander intervention. Sign up for free training and learn more.
- BYSTANDER INTERVENTION TO STOP ANTI-LGBTQ+ HARASSMENT. In honor of PRIDE month, Hollaback! Is offering a free training to address LGBTQ+ harassment and violence. We’ll talk about how microaggressions, harassment, and violence show up in the LGBTQ+ movement and what you can do to stop it. Sign up for the free training and learn more.
- BYSTANDER INTERVENTION TO ADDRESS ANTI-ASIAN/AMERICAN AND XENOPHOBIC HARASSMENT. In partnership with Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC this one-hour, interactive training will start by talking about the types of disrespect that Asian and Asian American folks are facing right now — from microaggressions to violence. You’ll learn what to look for and how to prioritize your own safety while intervening. Sign up for free training and learn more.
- COMING SOON: BYSTANDER INTERVENTION ONLINE.
Conflict de-escalation requires patience, a willingness to listen, and an ability to see the humanity in everyone, even those we don’t agree with or who seek to hurt us. Using Hollaback!’s Observe-Breathe-Connect methodology, we’ll learn how to identify potential conflict before it escalates using our “pyramid of escalation” and how to assess whether intervening is the right action.
- CONFLICT DE-ESCALATION IN THE WORKPLACE. If your team interfaces with the public, chances are they will face moments of escalation and will need to know what to do. We’ll arm with de-escalation techniques so that they can navigate these moments as leaders. Click here to learn more.
- CONFLICT DE-ESCALATION DURING COVID-19. In partnership with Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC we will explore specific biases that are increasing conflict, harassment, and violence during COVID19 — including how racism is experienced differently by different communities of color. We’ll also learn how to connect with others by validating and de-escalating their feelings — even if we don’t understand them or agree with them. Learn more and sign up for the free training.
Responding to and Preventing Harassment
Ending harassment requires a complex set of solutions. In addition to bystander intervention, we walk people through how to respond to harassment when it happens to them using our methodology: Trust Your instincts, Reclaim Your Space, and Practice Resilience. We also teach people how to show up they accidentally perpetuate disrespect, and how explore their own implicit biases.
- SEXUAL HARASSMENT PREVENTION IN THE WORKPLACE. Our harassment prevention trainings are different. We go beyond legal requirements to align with your organizational values. Our training is unique in that it explores all forms of harassment — not just sexual harassment, and includes elements of bystander intervention training. We train employees to contribute to a healthy and welcoming work environment. Learn more.
- HOW TO RESPOND TO ANTI-ASIAN/AMERICAN HARASSMENT WHEN IT HAPPENS TO YOU. In partnership with Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC during this one-hour, highly interactive training you’ll learn Hollaback!’s methodology for responding to harassment: 1) Trust your Instincts, 2) Reclaim Your Space, and 3) Practice Resilience. You’ll learn how your identities can shape your experience of harassment and the impact that harassment has on you and your community as a whole. We’ll talk about what to look for when assessing your safety, and how to determine if responding in the moment is the right action or not. We’ll also take a deep dive into how to build your resilience on an individual, interpersonal, organizational, community, and societal front. You’ll leave with new tools on how to respond to harassment, whether your response is in the moment while that harassment is happening or long-term. Learn more and sign up for the free training.
- COMING SOON: DIGITAL SAFETY TRAINING. We’ll teach your team how to prevent online harassment and violence through preventative measures designed to ensure their safety. We also offer training and consulting packages for management seeking to shore up their organization’s infrastructure to support their staff in the event of online harassment or violence.
- COMING SOON: IMPLICIT BIAS TRAINING.
The interactive, and experiential learning experience will teach you how to author your own resilience using Hollaback!’s resilience methodology: sit with what is, create your story, and be in choice. Using guided practices, we’ll learn practices to recover quickly when we’re knocked down by the world.
- RESILIENCE IN THE WORKPLACE. We’ll all inevitably face defeat in the workplace. The question is: how to respond to it? A resilient workforce is more able to take risks, bounce back from failure, and build team-connectivity in trying moments. This training will help your team build the resilience it needs to keep going strong. Learn more.
- RESILIENCE IN THE FACE OF COVID-19. If you’re scraping the bottom of your resilience bucket during COVID-19, this training is for you. With science as our guide, we’ll learn concrete tools to help you better manage and make sense of pain and trauma in this moment. Take the free training and learn more.
To receive an email from our team to talk about training options, complete the form below:
EMPOWER YOUR EMPLOYEES TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
Are you a Human Resources Professional looking for SHRM Recertification? Our bystander intervention in the workplace trainings offer PDCs! Get in touch to learn more.
READ WHAT OUR CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY
Samantha Hatch, HR Business Partner, NASA Jet Propulsion Lab:
“Hollaback’s Bystander Intervention Training provided tailored, real workplace examples that greatly resonated with our employees…The tools are simple, yet wildly effective, and gives employees the confidence to feel like they can do something when they see disrespectful behavior or harassment. Emily May is an amazing facilitator that presented heavy information in a unique format that kept all participants engaged from start to finish.”
Erin Bakst, Senior VP of People & Culture, Vox Media:
“Hollaback’s bystander intervention training is a key component of Vox Media’s anti-harassment initiative and one that we found to be hugely beneficial. While there are many ways the company can try to prevent and combat harassment, equipping our managers and employees with actual tactics to intervene when they witness harassment is perhaps even more powerful. And an added bonus is that this extends beyond the workplace. From a vendor perspective, I found Hollaback to be so incredibly flexible to work with. They took the time to understand our culture, our needs, and how their training would fit into the bigger picture. Their training isn’t just “plug and play” – it really reflects the company they’re working with.”
Jason Reich, Buzzfeed:
“Hollaback helped us run a very successful human centered design workshop to address challenges around the ongoing harassment of [our employees]. With their help, we were able to develop a program that focuses on creating a resilient workforce coupled with proactive support measures for our staff. I am very confident in their depth of knowledge and practice as they help us forge new best practices for this complex issue
Jennifer Elias, People & Partnerships, Bandcamp:
“Emily May tailored sexual harassment/respectful workplace trainings for our distributed team of 60+. This was the first time we had conducted trainings for all staff on workplace conduct and participants said they found her facilitation style thought-provoking, and the small-group discussions useful…We especially appreciated that after each session, Emily responded to participant feedback and updated the training to improve it for the next group.”
WE ARE THE EXPERTS YOU’VE BEEN LOOKING FOR
In 2005, at the age of 24, Emily May co-founded Hollaback! in New York City, and in 2010 she became its first full-time executive director. Under her leadership, the organization has scaled to over 15 cities in 10 countries — and includes a thriving operation with an excellent team of bystander intervention trainers, problem solvers, and movement leaders. We are deeply passionate about shifting the culture of harassment through legal policy, shaping harassment-free work environments, and strengthening interpersonal relationships inside and outside of the workplace.
“How do we build a work culture that lives and breathes our values? How do our teams become authentic ambassadors of what we want to create in world? I’m interested in guiding us to walk the walk, aligning intentions with actions.” – Emily May, Hollaback!’s Executive Director