Hollaback!’s award-winning app has been listed as one of CNN’s top safety apps and by USA Today as one of “4 free apps that could help prevent sexual assault.“ Use it to document harassment and to hollaback!
- Download the app from the iTunes Store or Google Play.
- The first time you open the app you’ll need to create an account or login through Facebook. To create a new account, enter your email address and a strong password with at least 8 characters, one capital letter, and one number or special character.
- Using the drop-down menus, select your language and your local Hollaback! site. If there are no Hollaback! sites near you, click “none in my area.”
- You will receive an automated confirmation email once you’ve finished signing up.
- Login to the app using the email and password you just set.
To Access Others’ Stories and Show Support:
- Every time you login you’ll be automatically directed to the “Home” page. This will show a map based on your GPS location. You can tap on the dots on the map to read other people’s stories. You can also search for stories in a specific location by typing in an address or area in the search bar at the top of the screen.
- When you click on and read someone’s story, you can tap “I’ve Got Your Back” to let the person know they’re not alone.
To Submit Your Story:
- Click “Take Action” at the bottom of the “Home” page.
- On the first screen, click either “I Experienced” or “I Witnessed.”
- Next, select as many boxes as you want to categorize what happened. Your options include verbal abuse, sexual gestures, inappropriate touching, being followed, indecent exposure, and assault, as well as homophobia, transphobia, racism, and other.
- After selecting the categories, click “Next” at the bottom of the page.
- At this point, you can choose to use your first name or remain anonymous.
- On the following screen, select where you experienced or witnessed harassment. If your GPS is on, the app will pull up a map based on your location and you can tap your location on the map. You also set your location by clicking on “search for address” and typing in the location.
- Click “Submit.” Now you can choose to share more details about your story and/or attach a photo. If you are in NYC, you can choose to share your story with the New York City Council.
- Click “Finish” to return to the home screen.
To View and Share Your Personal Maps:
- On the “Profile” page you can view all of your experiences of harassment on one map.
- By clicking on a shared story (the green or pink dots) you can re-read it and see who’s got your back.
- Click on “Share Map” to circulate your personal map of street harassment on social media so that your community can have your back.
- To logout, scroll to the bottom of the “Profile” page and click “Log Out.”