If you’ve ever witnessed someone being abused online, wanted to step in, but had no idea what to do, join PEN America and Hollaback! for this free, one-hour, interactive training on how to intervene safely and effectively.
WE WOULD LIKE TO INVITE YOU TO ATTEND THE NEXT FREE TRAINING:
Please note you must register in advance for all trainings. Registration is capped at 5,000 people per training.
- Friday, November 12, 2021 at 3:00PM ET/ 2:00PM CT/ 1:00PM MT/ 12:00PM PT/ 9:00AM HST. Register Here.
- Tuesday, November 30, 2021 at 7:00PM ET/ 6:00PM CT/ 5:00PM MT/ 4:00PM PT/ 1:00PM HST. Register Here.
Don’t see the training times you’re looking for? We also have free bystander intervention trainings to address gender-based harassment.
As more of our personal and professional lives go digital, online hate and harassment are on the rise. Abusive trolls join forces to disproportionately target BIPOCs, women, and LGBTQ+ folks to intimidate, discredit, and silence. Each and every one of us can be an ally. In this free, one-hour, interactive training, we’ll give you the tools you need to intervene safely and effectively in online abuse using Hollaback!’s 5D’s of bystander intervention.
First, we’ll talk through what online harassment is and how to identify abusive tactics. We’ll discuss the severe impact online abuse can have – on well being, livelihoods, and free expression – and how it’s drowning out voices that urgently need to be heard in public discourse. Then we’ll share concrete strategies for how to distract, delegate, document, delay, or directly intervene in a way that is safe, effective, and centered on the needs of the person being targeted. We’ll have time to practice so you can leave feeling more confident intervening the next time you see someone being abused online. We hope you’ll join us to learn how we can all band together to make the internet a safer, more diverse, and more equitable place.
- PEN America, Online Harassment Field Manual: with an explanation of what online abuse is and sections on how to prepare, respond, practice self-care, and offer support.
- HeartMob, by Hollaback! A platform where you can share your story of online abuse and get resources and support from a vetted community of bystanders ready to intervene on your behalf.
- 5D’s of Bystander Intervention, by Hollaback! Here we unpack Hollaback!’s 5D’s: Distract, Delegate, Document, Delay, and Direct.
- Digital Safety Guides, by Hollaback! The guides give user-friendly information on how use different platforms’ reporting and privacy tools.
- Harvard Business Review, You’re Not Powerless In The Face of Online Harassment (also available on Slate)
- Why You Should Dox Yourself (Sort Of), by Slate
- Social Media & Privacy Safety Checklist, by New York Times
- Episode 94: Allying Against Online Harassment with Viktorya Vilk and Emily May, the PEN pod (podcast).
TALK TO OUR TEAM:
To discuss organizational engagement with Hollaback! via our specialized company-wide training opportunities, our Corporate Accomplice Program, or Corporate Sponsorships programs, please email [email protected].
If you are interested in our free trainings that you can register for now, click here.