Happy 2017, Hollas!!! Hollaback! HQ was closed for the holidays, but now our office is back in business, ready to make a difference in the coming year. But to catch up before we move forward, here are some updates from the past couple of weeks:
At Hollaback HQ
- We had a great time at our HOLLAday party and got a lot of donations! Thanks to everyone who made it out!
- We’ve kept up our work responding to the increase in hate incidents in the U.S. with more bystander intervention training webinars.
- Our deputy director Debjani has been busy with interviews! She gave one on bystander intervention on NPR’s All Things Considered, took part in a conversation on increased hate incidents in the U.S. on WOHU’s All Sides with Ann Fisher, and strolled the subway with a Metro reporter for an article on bystander intervention.
- We collaborated with filmmaker Rebecca Carton, who recently released a short video called Smile – can you guess what it’s about? Watch it – it’s funny!
Changes are afoot with HeartMob… stay tuned for an announcement in the next few weeks!
Around the World
- Hollaback! Bahamas took to Twitter for the #TooSexytoVote campaign in response to legislation restricting women’s voting rights based on their attire.
- Hollaback! Oxford made The Oxford Mail with a story on their efforts since launching five months ago. Congratulations, hollas! We’re so impressed with all the work you’ve done!
Hollaback Jakarta and Hollaback! Nederlands reminded their followers that the holidays are no time to rest. This image says (in Dutch): “This holiday season… speak out against street harassment!”
- We’re going to Washington! Our whole staff will be at the Women’s March on Washington on January 21 – and we want you there with us. Register here to be a part of the holla contingent, and we’ll keep you updated with logistics.
This year will be challenging, to be sure. But we’ve got your back!
Holla and out!
-The Hollaback Team