Interview conducted by Krista Bedosky
1. Why did you start a HOLLA and what does Hollaback mean to you?
Women deal with street harassment daily here in NYC, yet we don’t openly acknowledge or discuss it. Hollaback is a chance to empower women and bring them together to talk about their experiences.
2. What was your first experience with street harassment?
When I was 11 I used to walk around my neighborhood with a best friend and we would get honked, leered, and yelled at by men as old as 50 all of the time. It’s a quiet suburb with no sidewalks, so there would be no one else around to stand up for us. It was the first time I connected being female with being in danger.
3. What’s your signature Hollaback?
I keep steady, aggressive eye contact instead of looking scared or pretending like it isn’t happening. It’s the one thing I’ve done that actually works.
4. If you could leave the world one piece of advice, what would it be?
Don’t worry too much about other people’s advice.
5. What inspires you?
I’m inspired by anyone who struggles to do something despite his or her fears.
6. In the year 2020, street harassment…
will be recognized as a widespread issue that many women face every day.
Author comments are in a darker gray color for you to easily identify the posts author in the comments