Join Our Team
Full-time Program and Administrative Assistant
Hollaback! is an international movement working to end harassment in public spaces, with a focus on street harassment and online harassment of women and LGBTQ individuals.
We are powered by a global activist network that stretches from New York City to the Bahamas, and from London to South Korea. Our local activists use mobile and web-based technology to gather data on where, when, and how harassment is taking place in public space. We work together on a global scale to ignite a public conversation surrounding street harassment and to create strategies that will ensure equal access to public space for all. We are also undergoing an expansion to address the urgent issue of online harassment through our newest initiative HeartMob.
Hollaback! has expanded rapidly over the past ten years and we are looking for a dynamic Program and Administrative Assistant to join our small team in our Brooklyn office.
The main goal of this position is to provide overall support to a small team of social justice innovators and advocates. The person in this position will spend approximately 50% of their time doing administrative work, 30% of their time doing communications, and 20% of their time organizing locally in New York City. The job will entail the following:
- Scheduling. Prioritize and schedule meetings and phone calls for executive and deputy director. Book flights and hotels during travel opportunities. Do background research to ensure executive director is fully prepared for meetings.
- Respond to general inquires to organization. Maintain the organization’s general email inbox and respond to general inquiries. Handling mail: pick up/drop off/mass mailings coordination.
- Development assistance. Assist staff with managing donor information using the Salesforce Database. Copy edit written materials as needed. Coordinate printing of Hollaback! publications/literature.
- Office Management. Order, organize, and manage office supplies. Ensure phones and internet are working properly. Ensure that main table and kitchen area is cleaned off before the end of every day. Take out trash, sweep, water plants, and clean silverware and cups as needed.
- Financial administrative assistance. Support the Deputy Director in the maintenance of all financial and grant files, including petty cash, collection of receipts, etc.
- Metrics. Maintain and collect core organizational metrics.
- Communications strategy assistance. Collaborate with 1-2 communications interns on finding and creating content for social media, weekly reporting on site leader outcomes, and story approval on ihollaback.org. Assist with moderation on the HeartMob platform. Edit and upload content on Benchmark for our constituents. Manage press inquiries and write press releases as needed.
- Content Creation. Through writing, design and film editing, create new and interesting material, including comics, videos, and images, to build out campaigns and Hollaback! and HeartMob social media following.
- Local Partnerships. Oversee engagement of [email protected] listserve.
- Event planning. Assist with planning and execution of our trademark NYC rally during International Anti-Street Harassment Week, NYC Pride events and other Hollaback! events as decided and scheduled by the team.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor, Debjani Roy, and as needed by the Hollaback! team.
Skills Based Requirements (you must have at least 80% of the following):
- A bachelor’s degree;
- 1-3 years of professional office and administrative work experience;
- 1-2 years of voluntary or professional experience in event planning and coordination;
- 1-2 years of voluntary or professional experience in communications work, including copyediting/editing content and expertise in content creation (eg. images, video, editorial) for social media to promote issues;
- Professional or voluntary community organizing experience and skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Gmail, Google Docs, etc.
- Motivation to contribute to a fast-paced, startup environment with aggressive growth plans;
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, results driven, motivated by project coordination and deadlines;
- Flexibility around job tasks;
- Ability to think strategically;
- Willingness to problem solve and take on challenges;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with others;
- Genuine passion for ending gender based harassment and an investment in seeing more women and LGBTQ leaders in the world.
Hollaback! is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Health and dental benefits are offered.
To apply, please email a PDF resume to [email protected] (as an attachment) and include the cover letter in the body of the email. The cover letter should include, but is not limited, to answering the following questions:
1) How does your experience align with the list of skills based requirements?; 2) Describe the types of teams you have worked on and what you saw as your role on that team; and 3) Talk about a time when you identified something as wrong/broken/unjust in life, at school or at work, and what steps you took to change it.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Please include salary history for the past five years. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.