Technology is an amazing part of our movement that has allowed us to connect with awesome people doing groundbreaking work in their own communities across the globe. Still, there is something about sharing space that feels electrifying. Here are two examples of events where Hollaback! and our allies gather together to share energy and inspiration.
International Anti-Street Harassment Week Rally
Every April, International Anti-Street Harassment Week gives activists around the world an opportunity to mobilize against street harassment. From Afghanistan to Chile, organizers worldwide lead local actions to raise awareness in their communities about why street harassment needs to end – and how to reach that goal together.
Hollaback! HQ joins in on the action with our annual anti-street harassment rally in New York City. Our rallies feature workshops, performances, speakers, and chalk-walks. This year we’ll be rallying in Tompkins Square Park on Saturday, April 8th! Check out our Facebook Event Page to find more information and to RSVP and invite your friends!
“Being a part of an international movement for 2+ years has been a truly amazing experience. Being able to finally MEET these amazing people and having the space to talk and share knowledge far exceeded my expectations. Hollaback! is an organization built on the dedication of individuals around the globe who go above and beyond for their community on the sole basis of their desire to see a better world. Creating a space for those same individuals to be re-energized and supported is crucial to the viability of this movement.”
Holla::Revolution is a conference hosted by Hollaback! In New York City. When we launched the conference in 2013, it was the first of its kind in bringing leading thinkers together to speak about street harassment and organize around it. Since then, Holla::Rev has grown and continues to elevate the voices of those within the social activism world.
Speakers discuss their own work, expand definitions of harassment, and advise on how to continue the movement. Each conference has inspired audiences of over 750 and educated them on how to conduct on-the-ground activism in their own communities. Recent speakers and performers include:
- Feminista Jones, Writer and activist, founder of #YouOKSis
- Linda Sarsour, Executive Director of Arab American Association of New York
- Quentin Walcott, Co-Executive Director of CONNECT
- Lourdes Ashley Hunter, co-founder of the Trans Women of Color Collective of Greater New York
- Sally Kohn, CNN contributor, columnist for the Daily Beast
- Soraya Chemaly, writer for the Huffington Post, Salon, Guardian, and CNN
- Sydnie L. Mosley Dances, a NYC based contemporary dance company
- Tatyana Fazlalizadeh of Stop Telling Women to Smile
- W. Kamau Bell, comedian and former host of Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell
- Jamia Wilson, writer and activist
- Sasheer Zamata, comedian on Saturday Night Live
Organizations and institutions recently represented at Holla::Rev include:
Since the first conference, Holla:Rev has generated thousands of discussions on Twitter and Facebook, reaching 1.8 million people worldwide in 2014 alone. After the HOLLA::Revolution Speaker Series, participants said they gained a better understanding of street harassment and learned new ideas for stopping and responding to street harassment in their communities. They described the event as “diverse,” “intersectional,” and “inspiring.”