Hollaback! has partnered with Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC to adapt our free bystander intervention training to support the AAPI community. After the rise in Anti-Asian/American and xenophobic harassment in the U.S., we have been offering tools and sharing the message that hate, including racism and xenophobia, is unacceptable in all of its forms.
We’re now offering sessions with translations and simultaneous interpretation in Chinese (中文) both Mandarin (普通話) and Cantonese (粤语), Korean (한국어) and Vietnamese (Tiếng Việt).
This 75-minute, interactive training will teach you Hollaback!’s 5D’s of bystander intervention methodology — now available in Chinese, including Cantonese and Mandarin! We’ll start by talking about the types of disrespect that Asian and Asian American folks are facing right now — from microaggressions to violence — using a tool we call the “spectrum of disrespect.” You’ll learn what to look for and the positive impact that bystander intervention has on individuals and communities. We’ll talk through five strategies for intervention: distract, delegate, document, delay, and direct; and how to prioritize your own safety while intervening. We’ll have time at the end for practice, and you’ll leave feeling more confident intervening the next time you see anti-Asian/American harassment online or in person.
在這一個75 分鐘的互動性培訓中，我們將教你學會Hollaback!組織開發的旁觀者可以使用的5D’s 干預方法。 現提供中文版，包括粵語和普通話！首先，我們要講解和列舉亞裔人和亞裔美國人目前所面對的各種不敬言行 – 從微型攻擊到暴力襲擊 – 給大家展示我們稱之為“不敬言行的一覽圖。” 您將學會怎樣查看和鑑別這些言行，了解旁觀者的干預將會給個人和社區帶來的積極影響。我們會介紹旁觀者可以採用的五種干預策略：轉移注意力，找人協助，記錄證據，推遲行動，直接干預；以及在干預過程中怎樣優先保證自己的安全。在培訓結束之前，我們會安排時間讓你練習應用學到的策略，這樣你在下次看到（現實中或在網上）反亞裔種族主義和仇外騷擾的言行時，就可以更有信心地做出有效的干預。
TRAINING DATES AND TIMES:
- This session offers translations and simultaneous interpretation in Chinese (中文)! Both Mandarin (普通話) and Cantonese (粤语) available. Friday, September 24, 2021. 3:00PM ET/ 2:00PM CT/ 1:00PM MT/ 12:00PM PT/ 9:00AM HST. Register Here.
- This session offers translations and simultaneous interpretation in Korean (한국어)! Thursday, October 14, 2021. 7:00PM ET/ 6:00PM CT/ 5:00PM MT/ 4:00PM PT/ 1:00PM HST. Register Here.
- This session offers translations and simultaneous interpretation in Vietnamese (Tiếng Việt)! Wednesday, October 27, 2021. 7:00PM ET/ 6:00PM CT/ 5:00PM MT/ 4:00PM PT/ 1:00PM HST. Register Here.
- More sessions coming soon!
- The 5D’s of Bystander Intervention, by Hollaback!
- Show Up, Your Guide to Bystander Intervention, by Hollaback! in collaboration with CUP
- How to Respond to Street Harassment, by Hollaback!. Written to respond to gender-based harassment but the tactics are applicable to all forms of harassment. We’ll be adapting these for the Asian/American community in the coming weeks.
- Responding to Online Harassment, Do’s and Don’ts by Hollaback! in collaboration with #ICANHELP, Project HEAR, and the Dangerous Speech Project.
- Self-care guide to healing from Online Harassment, by Hollaback!
- Digital Safety Guide, by Hollaback!
- HeartMob, a platform where you can get support managing online harassment and/or support others experiencing it, by Hollaback!
- Coronavirus/COVID-19 Resources to Stand Against Racism, by Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC
- Stand Against Hatred Tracker, by Asian Americans Advancing Justice
- Resources for the Asian American Community on Anti-Blackness, by Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC
- A Mental Wellness Activity Book for Asian Americans, by Asian and Asian American Studies Institute and IAMNOTAVIRUS
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
Donations are critical to our ability to continue these trainings. If you believe that Asian/Americans deserve to walk down the street or go to the grocery store without fear of harassment or worse, and you believe that all of us have a role in ending harassment, please donate.
To support the continuation of this training, donate to Hollaback! and donate to Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC.