WE WOULD LIKE TO INVITE YOU TO ATTEND THE NEXT FREE TRAINING:
Please note you must register in advance for all trainings. Registrations is capped at 5,000 people per training.
- Monday, November 2 at 4:00 PM ET/ 3:00 PM CT/ 2:00 PM MT/ 1:00 PM PT/ 11:00 AM HST. Register Here.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting. The training is currently only offered in English. Additionally, please note at the moment this training may not be ADA compliant.
Don’t see the training times you’re looking for? We also have free bystander intervention trainings to address gender-based harassment.
In response to the increased voter intimidation and harassment being expected in the upcoming 2020 election Hollaback! is offering a free, one-hour, interactive training to train people on how to safely intervene when they witness voter harassment at the polls on election day using Hollaback!’s 5D’s of bystander intervention.
We’ll start by talking about the history of voter rights and voter suppression in the United states. We’ll discuss the different types of voter suppression and then focus on voter harassment and intimidation. Then we’ll go through voter rights that are important to know on election day to protect your right to vote and the right of others. We’ll discuss the deep impact harassment and the threat of violence at the polls can have on voters and their ability or willingness to vote.
You’ll learn what to look for and the positive impact that bystander intervention has on individuals and communities. We’ll talk through five strategies for intervention: distract, delegate, document, delay, and direct; and how to prioritize your own safety while intervening. We’ll also talk about what to do if you’re a person of color worried the violence will turn on you, and how to avoid being a “white savior.” We’ll have time at the end for practice, and you’ll leave feeling more confident intervening the next time you see voter harassment at the polls.
- Know Your Rights | Voting Rights by ACLU
- Vote.gov Register to Vote.
- Find you polling place or voting center. A project by Democracy Works.
- A list of all counties that offer different language materials, and the languages they offer.
- “Dirty Tricks: 9 Falsehoods that Could Undermine the 2020 Election” by Max Feldman from The Brennan Center for Justice
- The 5D’s of Bystander Intervention, by Hollaback!
- Show Up, Your Guide to Bystander Intervention, by Hollaback! in collaboration with CUP
- How to Respond to Street Harassment, by Hollaback!. Written to respond to gender-based harassment but the tactics are applicable to all forms of harassment.
- Tip sheet on Documenting Voter Intimidation by WITNESS
- Election Legal Guide by Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press
ORGANIZATIONS TO SUPPORT:
- ACLU :: The American Civil Liberties Union was founded in 1920 and is our nation’s guardian of liberty. The ACLU works in the courts, legislatures and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to all people in this country by the Constitution and laws of the United States.
- March On :: MARCH ON is a political organization composed of women-led political activist groups that grew out of the women’s marches of January 21, 2017. They have come together as a united force to take concrete, coordinated actions at the federal, state and local levels to impact elections and take our country in a better direction.
- Future Coalition :: Founded by youth activists for youth activists, FUTURE COALITION is a national network and community for youth-led organizations and youth leaders. Future Coalition, a project of MARCH ON, works collaboratively to provide Gen Z activists with the resources, tools, and support they need to create the change they want to see in their communities and in this country.
TALK TO OUR TEAM:
To discuss organizational engagement with Hollaback! via our specialized company-wide training opportunities, our Corporate Accomplice Program, or Corporate Sponsorships programs, please email [email protected].
If you are interested in our free trainings that you can register for now, click here.