WE WOULD LIKE TO INVITE YOU TO ATTEND A FREE TRAINING:
- More dates coming soon
We’ve had a tremendous demand for our free training series and our trainings regularly sell out. Please note you must register in advance for all trainings. They will be capped at 5,000 people.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting. The training is currently only offered in English but we are seeking funding to expand it into other languages. Additionally, please note at the moment this training may not be ADA compliant.
This one-hour, interactive training will teach you Hollaback!’s 5D’s of bystander intervention methodology. We’ll start by talking about the types of disrespect that LGBTQIA+ folks are facing right now — from microaggressions to violence — using a tool we call the “spectrum of disrespect.” You’ll learn what to look for and the positive impact that bystander intervention has on individuals and communities. We’ll talk through five strategies for intervention: distract, delegate, document, delay, and direct; and how to prioritize your own safety while intervening. We’ll have time at the end for practice, and you’ll leave feeling more confident intervening the next time you see anti-LGBTQIA+ harassment.
We want to help people to respond to immediate threats to LGTBQIA+ folks with an end goal of sustained community and systemic change, preventing and responding to violence and harassment.
We are invested in finding proactive and empowering solutions to harassment in public spaces, and to develop strategies to prevent and reduce trauma in individuals before they internalize feelings of shame, fear, isolation, or depression – or before harassment escalates to violence.
Studies show that effective programmatic interventions that satisfy people’s need for “connection, support, safety, and identity development” (Paceley, 2016) contribute to resilience within LGBTQIA+ folks. With this program, Hollaback! is working to respond to harassment in an effective, proven way that elevates LGBTQ+ leadership, all while building spaces of resilience and community.
- The 5D’s of Bystander Intervention, by Hollaback!
- Show Up, Your Guide to Bystander Intervention, by Hollaback! in collaboration with CUP
- How to Respond to Street Harassment, by Hollaback!. Written to respond to gender-based harassment but the tactics are applicable to all forms of harassment.
- LGBTQ+ Street Harassment: A Guide For Survivors and Bystanders, by Hollaback!
- mypronouns.org, Resources on personal pronouns.
- ILGA State-Sponsored Homophobia Report, a yearly report from the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association.
- GLAAD Resources, reports and studies from a leading US based LGBTQ+ organization.
- Planned Parenthood Learn, a resource hub for educators, parents, and teens to learn about identity, healthy relationships, and sexuality.
- Human Rights Campaign Resource Hub, tools for equality and inclusion, includes the Fatal Violence Against the Trans and Gender Non-Conforming Community in 2020 report.
- Ace Week Resources, a collection of advocacy resources like printable materials, downloadable presentation, and community group listings.
TALK TO OUR TEAM:
To discuss organizational engagement with Hollaback! via our specialized company-wide training opportunities, our Corporate Accomplice Program, or Corporate Sponsorships programs, please email [email protected].
If you are interested in our free trainings that you can register for now, click here.
Read What People Are Saying About This Training:
This course made me understand the power that I have as a compassionate citizen in our society.Jamie S. (she/her), Google
The training exposes some situations the LBGTQIA+ community endures every day and illustrates actions we can take to show our intolerance for those behaviors.Ed C. Google