A Week In Our Shoes: Community Building

From Hollaback! HQ

Hey Hollas,

It’s Friday and we are definitely feeling hopeful. Happy Friday Hollas! Welcome to the latest edition of A Week In Our Shoes.” What’s better than it being Friday? Being witness to the tremendous support to the AAPI community this week, in the wake of last week’s violence. This week has filled us with hope, because folks who have joined our trainings are taking action as a responsive community in helping one another. With love and gratitude, we would like to share a short poem.

Dear Local Bystander

You are in a position of power to make a remarkable change,

Does this sound kind of strange?

You have a bird’s eye view as a bystander,

But don’t sit there and watch someone get harassed or slandered,

The AAPI, Black, Latinx and other minority communities need Bystanders to take action,

It is up to us to break the chain reaction,

To heinous xenophobic and racist crimes,

Are you ready for the climb?

– Asha Nelson

Thank you to all Bystanders who not only supported the AAPI community but took action with our free Bystander Intervention Training sessions. As of late, we have been experiencing a rise in demand for our bystander intervention training and are continuing to schedule as many as we can to accommodate everyone, as well as expand the capacity of existing training sessions. Please see ihollaback.org/bystanderintervention to find a date that works for you. 

To kick-start or continue disrupting the xenophobic and racist harassment, join our Bystander Intervention to Stop Anti-Asian/American Harassment and Xenophobia: 

• Monday April 5th 2021. 1pm EST/ 12PM CT/ 11am MT/ 10am PT/ 7am HST. Register Here

Do you need training specifically for when anti-Asian harassment happens to you? Try our How to Respond to Anti-Asian/American Harassment when it Happens to You”: 

• Friday, April 2nd 2021. 5:00 PM ET/ 4:00 PM CT/ 3:00 PM MT/ 2:00 PM PT/ 12:00 PM HST. Register Here

Do you require a conflict de-escalation type of hands-on training? Try our Bystander Intervention 2.0: Conflict De-Escalation Training Workshop:

•  Friday, April 2nd, 2021. 1:00 PM ET/ 12:00 PM CT/ 11:00 AM MT/ 10:00 AM PT/ 8:00 AM HST. Register Here

As we temporarily close the curtains on Women’s History Month, we welcome you to try our Stand Up Against Street Harassment Training. This training will provide you with a valuable set of tools you can use to interrupt public harassment you witness in your community.

• Wednesday, March 31st, 2021. 6 pm ET/ 5pm CT/ 4pm MT/ 3pm PT/ 1pm HST. Register Here

If you can’t make it to any one of these mentioned above, don’t worry, you’re in luck! April 11-17 is International Anti-Street Harassment Week and we will be hosting this training DAILY during that week. Head to ihollaback.org/stand-street-harassment to reserve your spot now. 

Around The World

Ottawa

Woohoo!!! Shout out to Hollaback!Ottawa. We’re so excited to announce that #WeStandUp is coming to Canada! A partnership between L’Oréal Paris and the global Hollaback! movement, our site director Julie will be hosting FREE, bilingual training sessions on street harassment and bystander intervention. You can sign up as an individual or you can sign up to host a training at your workplace, campus, school or community. Open to all Canadians who are interested in creating safer public spaces! To get on the waitlist, email: [email protected]. Feel free to check out our video in partnership with L’Oréal Paris, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vNGg_hmUFU&t=4s

Catch you in our next issue of A Week In Our Shoes!

Asha, WIOS Editor