From Hollaback! HQ
Happy Friday, and welcome to this new edition of “A Week In Our Shoes”. Thank you for joining us for this weekly update! This week we want to share with you some resources you may find helpful in your journey to being Anti-Racist! We all understand that not being racist isn’t enough, and moving forward we must all be Anti-Racists. The journey to becoming Anti-Racist hinges on our commitment to educate ourselves, listen to Black Voices, and make the small and large overdue changes in the many faces of our life. For some this may mean opening our purses and donating what we can. For others this may mean sitting in the uncomfortable realization that just because you are not personally responsible for creating racism systems, you benefit from them and uphold them. And for the Black folks who’ve experienced this stress for far too long, this may mean prioritizing self care.
Breonna Taylor has still not received justice. In our own ways, we all have roles to play to get her justice, and to affect long term change. So we are not slowing down!
Organizations that are currently accepting donations: ACLU, Marsha P Johnson Institute, Black Women’s Blueprint, My Block, My Hood, My City, and make sure to support your local organizations working to dismantle racism in your community. If you can’t donate money, donate your time, or uplift their work on your social media.
This is a Community Healing Guide, an amazing resource, curated by Balanced Black Girl. Listen to their podcast “Balanced Black Girl” on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Play. The Guide includes a list of Mental Health Support, and Self Care resources, Virtual Events, and a list of social media accounts to follow for Healing Content.
And follow on them on social:
– Instagram: @balancedblackgirlpodcast
– Twitter: @balancedblkgirl
We’ve just launched a new training, Bystander Intervention to Stop Police Sponsored Violence & Anti-Black Racist Harassment.This is a free, one-hour, interactive training to train people on how to safely intervene in the face of police violence and anti-black racism using Hollaback!’s 5D’s of bystander intervention.
- Tuesday, June 16th, 2020 at 4:00pm ET/ 3:00pm CT/ 2:00pm MT/ 1:00pm PT/ 10:00am HST. Register Here. (SOLD OUT)
- Friday, June 19th, 2020 at 2:00pm ET/ 1:00pm CT/ 12:00pm MT/ 11:00am PT/ 8:00am HST. Register Here.
Don’t forget to mark your calendars for our upcoming Bystander Trainings to stop Anti-Asian/American and Xenophobic Harassment.
- Thursday, June 18th at 7:00pm ET / 6:00pm CT / 5:00pm MT / 4:00pm PT / 1:00pm HST. Register Here.
- Thursday, June 25th at 4:00pm ET / 3:00pm CT / 2:00pm MT / 1:00pm PT / 10:00am HST. Register Here.
After attending our bystander intervention trainings, many Asian/Americans want to know — how do I take care of myself when I experience harassment? If that’s a question you’re asking — this training is for you. How to Respond To Harassment For People Experiencing Anti-Asian/American Harassment Training.
- Tuesday, June 23rd, 2020 at 2pm ET/ 1pm CT / 12pm MT / 11am PT /8am HST. Register Here.
- Monday, June 29th, 2020 at 3pm ET/ 2pm CT/ 1pm MT / 12pm PT / 9am HST. Register Here.
Also check out our Bystander 2.0 training: Conflict De-Escalation Training:
- Thursday, June 18th at 2:00pm ET / 1:00pm CT / 12:00pm MT / 11:00am PT / 8:00am HST Register Here.
We hope to see you there!
Catch you in our next issue of A Week In Our Shoes!
Gabriela, WIOS Guest Editor