A Week in Our Shoes: I Ain’t No Hollaback Girl!

Hollaback! HQ

Happy Friday Hollas! Welcome to the new edition of  “A Week In Our Shoes” newsletter that keeps you up to date with our latest news local and worldwide! As #HotGirlSummer and #HotBoySummer is coming to an end, it’s now time for #HotGirlScholar and #HotBoyScholar as commencement of school is round the corner. We at Hollaback! HQ hope that you take the pledge to intervene the next time you see harassment on campus or the streets. To pledge as a means of showing your support for the cause, feel free to click here

Around The World

The Bahamas

Shout out to Equality Bahamas who hosted  their Women`s Wednesdays discussion which focused on the experiences of not only Bahamian women in the arts but how they were able to use their artwork to address social, political and cultural issues. Essentially, the heart of their conversation highlighted the significance of art in activism and advocacy for women’s and LGBTQ+ rights as a means of provoking change as it pertains to gender discrimination. Some of the questions which led their discussion were:

• How is art being used (and how can it be used) to address issues regarding gender and sexuality?
  • How do you see art influencing people and functioning in our communities at a time when society is polarized on many issues?
  • What challenges do women artists face in creating and sustaining their art projects, and what strategies can we adopt to better support them?

Interesting Huh? Those who missed the discussion could check out their Facebook page “Equality Bahamas” for the recorded live by clicking here!

Jakarta

In the new age of technological advancements, social media, media and other societal pressures, there has been some serious repercussions and negative effect on many folks with abilities to practice “ self-love”, leading to low-self-esteem, anxiety, depression and other mental-health issues.  As such, we at Hollaback! HQ would like to give a HUGE shoutout to Anindya Restuviani,   Hollaback! Jakarta team and Marcelina Melisa S.Psi, M.Psi, for a job well done on their #PopbelaCommunity presentation with Gelato Secrets millennials and self-love. #jakarta #selflove #popbela

Wait …Hold up…..That’s not all! Anyone in Semerang? Hollaback! Jakarta and Youth Center PILAR PKBI JATENG will be presenting “The Future of Youth” at the Semerang Youth Town Hall on gender issues we face daily. For more information, on Instagram, follow @hollaback_jkt and @pilar_pkbi. Also, Shout Out to Anindya Restuviani again, who is part of the SMG YouthTownHall 2019! #SMGYTH2019 #MakingHollaMoves

Ottawa

With the alarmingly high increase of street harassment today, Hollaback! Ottawa`s Director, Julie Lalonde was interviewed by CBC News where she advocated for Bystander Training in the public transport system because many folks experience safety challenges in the LRT system. Lalonde is promoting the need to educate folks on how to intervene safely when they see harassment happening on public transportation.    Special Shout Out to Julie, for a job well done! Keep up the good work! For more information on the CBC`s news article on Julie, feel free to click here. #MakingHollaMoves

Baltimore

We keep on making those #HollaMoves! Shout Out to Hollaback!Baltimore who hosted a #SafeSpaces Training, Wednesday 21st August. If you would like to educate your business, university/school, group or space on gender-based harassment, feel free to contact us at Hollaback!, or a local chapter like Hollaback!Baltimore. Book Hollaback!Baltimore at [email protected]

Catch you in our next issue of A Week In Our Shoes!

Asha, WIOS Editor