A Week In Our Shoes: Not Just A Dream!

From Hollaback! HQ

We at Hollaback would like to acknowledge and celebrate Black History Month with you! As we look back on the generations of African-Americans who faced adversity for  civil, cultural, political and human rights, we take pride in commemorating their achievements in paving a “yellow brick road” for future generations. We cannot take for granted those who took a stand for a better tomorrow and made a significant difference. Rosa Parks, for instance, stood proudly and had the courage to say “Nah” in response to being asked to sit at the back of the bus. Today, we are free to sit anywhere we please. We remember Martin Luther King Jr., a leader who was actively involved in the Civil Rights Movement to fight against racial segregation and discrimination in the United States of America during the 50’s and 60’s. Now, thanks to the abolition of racial discrimination in specific areas such as voting, employment and education, there are acts and legislations that protect and ensure that citizens are able to exercise their rights. James Baldwin, a prolific writer and an avid civil rights activist broke literary ground when he delved into crucial issues like the fluidity of sexuality, homosexuality depicted as a “taboo”  and other racial and social issues. Baldwin, along with other Black LGBTQ+ activists, paved the way for many activists now to continue the fight. Although laws protecting African-Americans were passed and society is much more racially “aware” today than it was 50 years ago, there is still a lot of work to be done.

We must continue where these prominent figures left off and be pioneers of change, for a better tomorrow whether it is battling for racial or gender justice, equality shall prevail. #StayWoke #StayConscious #ForTheCulture.

HeartMob

Unfortunately, online harassment is a plague of this generation. With the advent of technology, many persons have identified several ways to cyberbully others that often make victims headlines of tragic and or embarrassing stories. As citizens we should know our rights, so check out our #KnowYourRights manual here to equip you with the necessary information about how you can respond to #OnlineHarassment. Also, you could share your story of #OnlineHarassment with us here and for information on this issue, a part from us, other supportive organizations have provided a vault filled with resources. Click here for more information!

Around the World

Hollaback! New York/Barbados Curious to know the face behind “A Week In Our Shoes”? Meet Asha Nelson, the WIOS Editor. Asha is a MSc Gender Development postgraduate student from the University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus, Barbados. This proud Saint Lucian believes that her work with Hollaback! will provide her with the much-needed exposure to international issue as she yearns to be a catalyst for change. She is also excited to participate in the global fight to stop harassment!

#HollaFact of the Week

Hollaback! conducted research in Edinburgh in 2017 on public harassment. One of the questions in the survey was “Is there anything that authorities could do to make it easier for you to report incidents?” Here is what a respondent had to say, “Show that it would make a difference when you report it. Make people aware of what is a ‘hate crime’ since most of the people wouldn’t feel like a ‘victim’ and people don’t know if it’s worth to report it.”

What are your thoughts?

Catch you in our next issue of A Week In Our Shoes!
Asha, WIOS Editor

2 responses to “A Week In Our Shoes: Not Just A Dream!

1. I really enjoyed the connection to black history month referencing Rosa Parks because lord know she went throw some tragic harassment