Happy Friday Hollas! It’s April already, Sexual Assault Awareness Month #SAAM and many of us have begun our month facilitating or participating in events for the Anti-Street Harassment Week (April 8-14). While, at the Hollaback! HQ we’ve been working hard to end harassment. Since last time, we’ve established a ROAR for Good partnership, along with testifying for the NYC Council to end sexual harassment in the workplace. We’ve got a lot of catching up to do, here some exciting Hollaback! updates.
FROM HOLLABACK HQ
- Firstly, “NYC Council Passed a groundbreaking and Far Reaching Legislative Package Targeting Workplace Sexual Harassment,” addressing workplace abuse in both public and private sectors to which Emily May, Executive Director, Hollaback! stated:
“As a global movement to end harassment, Hollaback! is thrilled to see the Council become the first city in the country to require city and private employers to offer sexual harassment prevention trainings. Even better, these trainings will include a bystander intervention component, so that employees are familiar with how they can best support each other and actively shift their workplace culture to be more inclusive and equitable.”
- Next, we’re proudly announcing ROAR for Good as our partners for SAAM (Sexual Assault Awareness Month):
ROAR for Good, is a Certified B Corporation, on a mission to reduce assaults and make the world a safer place. They accomplish this mission with their safety device, Athena, their ROAR Personal Safety App, and investments in empathy education for every device sold.
What sets ROAR for Good apart is their ROAR Back program. For every product sold, ROAR for Good donates a portion of proceeds to empathy education programs, which have been shown to reduce violence and increase empathy.
We’re proud to announce that for April, Hollaback! has been chosen as the ROAR Back partner. This means a portion of all sales will be donated to Hollaback! And there are some special perks for the Hollaback! community:
- For Hollaback! community members the Athena will be $109, with special code HOLLABACK (regular price is $129)
- For every Athena purchased with the code, ROAR will donate $20 to Hollaback!
- For every apparel item sold during April, 50% of proceeds will be donated to Hollaback!
AROUND THE WORLd
- In the HollabackWorld, Staysee Marie of Hollaback! Vancouver/ Good Night Out announced a beer that they launched during Sexual Assault Awareness Month “to get people talking about sexual harassment and assault over beer.”
- Next, Angie Kilbane of Hollaback! Jakarta announced a bystander intervention event for Anti-harassment week, held April 14. Likewise, Jakarta’s co-director ViVi spoke at at a TedX event on April 14.
- Lastly, Brooke Harris of Hollaback! Detroit shared a zine making workshop and open mic for anti-street harassment week, held April 13. Holla!back Detroit also participated in Take Back the Night at the college for Creative Studies in Detroit on April 5th.
- As always, if you or someone you know is facing online harassment, check out
HeartMob and find all the resources you need to get help. We’ve got your back.
THE PEOPLE’S SUPPER
- Check out how you can get involved and host your own supper.
With love and solidarity,
–THE HOLLABACK! TEAM