Happy Friday Hollas! Yes, it’s been a while–February has already ended! We’ve been working hard on your behalf to end harassment and have a lot of exciting Hollaback! news to catch you all up on… Here’s a quick overview of some of the amazing activism that we’re involved in right now!
FROM HOLLABACK HQ
- “We need to hide this game under a rock and starve it—and the whole PUA culture—of light and oxygen until it dies. PUA culture is what society tells men to be, and it starves men of options and different ways of being in the world,” stated our Executive Director Emily May in a motherboard.vice.com article, in which she was featured on February 26th. The article discussed the PlayStation game, Super Seducer which is “about stalking and harassing women using pick-up tactics.” It was set to be released in March, however, in a victory of our initiative to combat street and online harassment, it was recently announced that the game will not be released!
- On January 30th, our Executive Director Emily May was on the panel of a webinar, “Creating Safe Spaces for All Community Members,” hosted by americanwalks.org.
- On February 28, 2018, Emily testified on behalf of Hollaback! at City Hall!
- NEXUS released a report that maps the field of the over 400 organizations addressing hate speech in the US and we came out on top in several categories:
- In the category of “Building cross-cultural understanding by facilitating interaction with the other,” The People’s Supper was listed as one of two “examples of who does this well”
- In the category of “enlisting allies as bystanders,” Hollaback! and HeartMob were listed as one of two “examples of who does this well” and in the category of “tech sector,” our Online Harassment Task Force was listed as one of several “examples of who does this well”
- Hollaback! Bystander InterventionTrainings:
- America Walks Webinar 1/10
- Sanctuary for Families 1/11
- Department of Sanitation 1/15
- Bystander Webinar 1/24
- MAKERS host training 1/25
- AmEx Leadership Profile 1/26
- MAKERS host training 2/5
- Knight Foundation 2/19
- Knight Foundation 2/20
AROUND THE WORLD
- Also, on January 13 in celebration of his birthday, advisory board member W. Kamau Bell, created a Birthday Fundraiser for Hollaback!, where he raised $4,614 exceeding his $4,500 goal! Bell is a sociopolitical comedian who hosts CNN’s hit docu-series United Shades of America, he is an author, and the host of three podcast; Politically Re-active, Denzel Washington Is The Best Actor Of All Time Period, and Kamau Right Now!
- Next, Shawna of Hollaback! Baltimore has several Space Program trainings and began a Male Ally group!
- Also, Rahnuma of Hollaback! Edinburgh has published surveys conducted last year about public harassment in Edinburgh!
- Lastly, a new edition of our Apple app is now released in Indonesian!
The fight for Net Neutrality isn’t over. Congress has 60 legislative days to overrule them and save the
Internet using the Congressional Review Act (CRA), but we still need #OneMoreVote to win in the Senate.
- Emily spoke at Knight Foundation‘s Knight Media Forum on Civility, Technology and Community. Check it out here.
- HeartMob has a FREE upcoming webinar on Tuesday, March 27, 2018 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM EDT! Register to learn how to stand up for your friends when they’re facing online harassment.
- As always, if you or someone you know is facing online harassment, check out HeartMob and find all the resources you need to get help. We’ve got your back
THE PEOPLE’S SUPPER
- On February 6, Emily attended the Makers conference. Check out Makers playlist, which feature amazing women who “build community through better conversations,” here.
- To join a supper or start your own, visit the People’s Supper website
With love and solidarity
-The Hollaback Team