Happy Friday Hollas! We can’t believe it’s already December. The fall has been a whirlwind of constant news on sexual assault and harassment. The week, Time magazine put out their piece on Silence Breakers recapping some of the amazing voices behind the movement. It was awesome and inspiring. We have been trying to break the silence– and holla back– with our own work for quite some time now. Here’s the latest:
FROM HOLLABACK HQ
- Emily did four Bystander Intervention trainings in Portland this week with TriMet transportation authorities.
- We’re still working to raise $30,000 before the end of the year – and with #GivingTuesday, we’ve started out strong. Thank you again to everyone who has donated. If you want to support our work against harassment, there is still time to donate before the end of the year.
AROUND THE WORLD
- Last Saturday, Cheer Up Luv held a free portrait workshop at Silverman Studios for Hollaback London – 16 Days of Creative Action. They took portraits, and chatted with people about their experiences of harassment.
- Last week, Rahnuma from Hollaback! Edinburgh participated as a panelist at a screening for Hopscotch organised by Forth Valley Rape Crisis. Hopscotch is a short film based on an amazing poem written by a former Hollaback! Edinburgh member, Nadine Aisha. The film shows the impact of street harassment and the poem is read by young Scottish women of colour.
- This Saturday, Hollaback! Edinburgh has a stall at the Feminist Utopia event, handing out info and talking to people about bystander intervention.
- Hollaback! Alberta is currently partnering with the City of Edmonton, Men Edmonton, NextGen, and the project This Is What It Feels like to highlight the experiences of street harassment in Edmonton. This Is What It Feels like recreates the experience of street harassment for those who may not know what it feels like. More press coverage here.
- This past Sunday, Hollaback! Baltimore hosted their second “What Can Men Do?” event to help men understand it’s their turn to participate in the emotional labor of educating other men.
- Hollaback! Jakarta had a chalk-walk on Sunday December 3rd during Jakarta’s Car Free Day together with Lentera and Jakarta Feminist.
- FCC will vote whether to delete net neutrality on December 14th. Check this website for how you can stop the FCC and protect net neutrality and sign this petition before it’s too late!
- Jill presented on a panel about the idea for automated moderation at the “All Things Moderation” conference in UCLA based on experiences moderating HeartMob.
- As always, if you or someone you know is facing online harassment, check out HeartMob and find all the resources you need to get help. We’ve got your back.
THE PEOPLE’S SUPPER
- The People’s Supper is hosting their first-ever Twitter supper on 12/14 at 2pm EST! Log in, pull up a chair and chat with leading voices in the feminist movement about what brought them to the table and what keeps them sustained.
- All three The People’s Supper founders were interviewed for Springtide’s Govern Yourself Accordingly podcast!
- The People’s Supper is partnering with Arena Summit to host suppers leading up to the Phoenix Summit this weekend, December 8th-9th.
- This week, there have been suppers galore. Here’s the rundown: Dani, Washington, DC Saturday 12/2, Cassie + Jennifer, Houston, TX, Saturday 12/2, Chelsea, Kaneohe, HI, Sunday, 12/3, Jenn, Brooklyn, NY, Wednesday, 12/6, Kathy, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, Thursday, 12/7.
- The People’s Supper had a great chat with Pierce Delahunt with YEA Camp about adapting materials for youth and youth workers (activists, students teachers).
- The People’s Supper is setting up a chat with Dave Stark, director of Stiles Hall community center at Berkeley, who does a lot of bridging and antiracism work with students there. He’s the professor of the course, “Race Matters.”
- If harassment makes you angry, we’re with you. Join the global movement to end harassment by sharing your story or checking out the Hollaback! site leader program.
With love and solidarity,
-The Hollaback Team