Happy Friday Hollas! We can’t believe it’s already (!!) October… The Women’s Convention and The Obama Foundation Summit will be here before we know it! We’ve got a lot of exciting Hollaback! news to catch you all up on, too.
FROM HOLLABACK HQ
- This Monday, we welcomed Graphic Design Intern, Alexa, to our team!
- We are all deeply saddened by the horrific shooting in Las Vegas this past week. It was an attack on everyone’s safety in public space. Our hearts go out to Hollaback! Las Vegas and everyone affected.
- This week, we did a digital workshop on bystander intervention for The People’s Supper and Hollaback!
- We are looking forward to our upcoming bystander intervention training with the Association of Junior Leagues International!
AROUND THE WORLD
- On October 5th, Hollaback! Ottawa hosted their event “Back Off Creeps!” They taught cafes/bars/restaurants/etc. how to take make public spaces safer for everyone.
- Hollaback! Jakarta held a chalkwalk with the #GerakBersama, a group of organizations that work together to end gender based violence! Check out this video of their chalkwalk.
- On October 1, Hollaback! Jakarta participated in an event called #remedisore— an afternoon of sharing stories of healing and inner strength. There were appearances by artists– both survivors and advocates against sexual violence– including musician Kartika Jahja and rapper Yacko (Hands Off).
- This week, Hollaback! Polska wrote a letter to Polish Police asking them to act on the sexist content published on a Polish Police Facebook fan page. In their letter, they explained that the content was degrading, sexualizing and that it strengthened gender based violence.
- On Monday, Hollaback! Nederland trained 4 young men on bystander intervention. This was a collaboration with the Dutch organization, Emancipator.
- HeartMob wrote a guest blog post for Thorn in response to their new PSA about sextortion.
- We teamed up with our friends at Social Misfits Media to create a new resource that launched this week! Take a look at this new handy flowchart to help nonprofits deal with online harassment.
- We have another bystander training coming up: see our Facebook event page and get your tickets here.
THE PEOPLE’S SUPPER
- This week, Tamar officially joined The People’s Supper team working on communication strategy.
- Stand with your communities in the fight against hate. Visit The People’s Supper to sign up for their online workshops with iHollaback!
- The People’s Supper is still looking for an enthusiastic Community Manager to join their team. More information and application here.
- We’re still searching for Hollaback! site leaders. Join the global movement to end harassment!
- Interested in taking action? Check out our upcoming bystander intervention trainings here.
With love and solidarity,
-The Hollaback Team