Dear HOLLAbackers —
I am writing you from sunny Long Beach on a layover. It’s sunny, 72, and I’m sitting outdoors. I’m pretty sure this is the best layover of my life.
We are coming up on International Anti-Street Harassment Week. This upcoming week, April 7-April 13, Hollaback! sites all over the world will be chalk walking, rallying, marching, crafting, and hosting all sorts of events. Tell what action you’re taking on twitter (@ihollaback) and we’ll retweet it to promote it!
NEWS FROM THE MOTHERSHIP:
- Utah State University and Stanford! I spoke at both this week. Next week, I’m moderating a panel at the Youth, Tech, Health conference in San Francisco.
- Legislators! I met with staffers from Councilmembers Jackson, Lander, Lappin and Dickens offices this week about how they can address street harassment in their communities.
- Book! I’m part of a new book called How Will You Create Positive Change! The book is by a young woman named Leah Oviedo who interviewed 16 people who are making positive changes in their communities. You can read it for FREE online,
NEWS FROM AROUND THE WORLD:
- Hollaback Belfast, our brand new site, has its first radio interview this evening with BBC!! Hollas will talk about the launch of their new site and get the word out about Hollaback! Way to go Belfast!
- Hollaback! Philly‘s new anti-street harassment ads went up in the SEPTA trains this week! Thanks to the team, Philadelphia commuters can learn about street harassment and their right to feel safe on their way to work.
- Hollaback! Boston is doing some incredible work for Sexual Assault Awareness Week! This past monday, the hollas hosted an Anti-Street Harassment Workshop at BU, discussing the meaning of street harassment and how it affects LGBTQ folks and people of color. The site then lead a chalkwalk on thursday with Voices for Choice.
- Hollaback! Berlin is still collecting music for the “Cats against Catcalling” Compilation! Hollas are working hard with Riot Grrrl to compile their 6th compilation! You can submit here.
- Hollaback! Buenos Aires is raising awareness on their site regarding forms of sexual harassment such as stalking and non-consensual picture-taking. Hollas also recently played an important role in a Reflection Group on street harassment.
- Hollaback! Fredericksburg is getting ready for Anti-Street Harassment Week. Hollas are kicking off the week in a big way this Sunday with their anti-street harassment chalking event!
- Hollaback! Brussels is joining the “My Choice Not Yours” campaign! The project was started by inspirational female fashiondesigner, Rachida Aziz. Hollas have just signed the charter and are participating all the way with this project! The team is also hosting a free self-defense workshop on April 20.
- Hollaback! Gent is organizing SIX chalk walks for Anti-Street Harassment week next week. Monday April 8, Hollas will launch a six-day marathon of chalk walks all over Gent! Stay tuned for pictures and stories!
- Hollaback! Desmoines interviewed cartoonist Kate Leth! Kate is a webcomic artist, cartoonist, and illustrator based in Halifax, using her creative work to raise awareness about street harassment. Read the full interview here. The team is also getting ready for their chalk walk next week!
- Hollaback! Ottawa welcomes Lisane Thirsk to the team! Lisane did her Masters research on street harassment with Hollaback! Mexico Df and will now be working as Ottawa’s new Policy & Research Officer! Welcome, Lisane! Hollaback! Ottawa is getting ready for their chalkwSELFdefenseHollaGarance2013-1alk next Monday April 8. AND, in partnership with WISE: Women’s Initiatives for Safer Environments, the team is organizing a community dialogue on public transit safety called Talking Back! The free event will take place in May. Holla’s are hoping it will be a space for people to share their stories and for the community to come together to brainstorm solutions.
- Hollaback! Czech boldy hollas back at a longstanding Czech Easter tradition. In this week’s post titled, “No, Sweetie, You Can’t Hit Women and I Don’t Care If It’s Easter!”, the team calls attention to the widely accepted Easter tradition of whacking women in the behind as being sexist in nature. Definitely worth a read!
- Hollaback! Sheffield is preparing an amazing series of events for International Anti-Street Harassment Week. The team will be kicking off the week with a discussion and workshop with the Sheffield Feminist Network where the group will be exploring experiences and reactions to street harassment. Hollas will then host their Craftivism workshop and a Zine-making workshop on tuesday and wednesday.
- Hollaback! Bmore blogger Rebecca Evans has two great posts up this week. The first is an eloquent discussion of the Steubbenville trial and media coverage. The second gives us a new perspective on recent feminist critique of pop sensation Beyonce. Read away, hollas!
- Hollaback! RVA guest blogger Afton Bradley wrote an awesome blog this week on the proposed law in Arizona which promotes discrimination of trans folks when it comes to using restrooms. An important issue for sure, definitely worth a good read.
Thanks for all your support — and keep on holla’ing back!