GET TRAINED DURING THE 16 DAYS OF ACTIVISM AGAINST GENDER-BASED VIOLENCE
We all have a responsibility to do something when we see street harassment happening, but too often we freeze. We don’t know what to do. Bystander intervention gives us tools to intervene without compromising our own safety.
When we intervene, we don’t just reduce trauma for the person being street harassed. We also start to chip away at the culture that allows harassment to be so prevalent.
Alone we can’t shift the culture — but together — our actions matter. With the support of Hollaback!, L’Oreal Paris, the NYC Commission on Gender Equity and the Mayor’s Office to End Domestic and Gender-Based Violence we have a historic opportunity to train 20,000 people before 2021 in how to intervene when they see street harassment.
Join us. Be part of the change.
Sign up for one of the free bystander intervention trainings below!
Throughout the 16 days campaign we will host one training per day, with the goal of training 20,000 people throughout the campaign. Each training is one hour, interactive, and includes a live trainer.
- Nov 25, 2020 01:00 PM ET/ 12:00 pm CT/ 11:00 am MT/ 10:00 am PT/ 7:00 am HST. Register Here.
- Nov 27, 2020 02:00 PM ET / 1:00pm CT/ 12:00pm MT/ 11:00am PT/ 8:00am HST. Register Here.
- Nov 28, 2020 03:00 PM ET/ 2:00 pm CT/ 1:00 pm MT/ 12:00 pm PT/ 9:00 am HST. Register Here.
- Nov 29, 2020 11:00 AM ET/ 10:00 am CT/ 9:00 am MT/ 8:00 am PT/ 5:00 am HST. Register Here.
- Nov 30, 2020 05:00 PM ET/ 4:00 pm CT/ 3:00 pm MT/ 2:00 pm PT/ 11:00 am HST Register Here.
- Dec 1, 2020 11:00 AM ET / 10:00 am CT/ 9:00 am MT/ 8:00 am PT/ 5:00 am HST. . Register Here.
- Dec 2, 2020 07:00 PM ET/ 6:00 pm CT/ 5:00 pm MT/ 4:00 pm PT/ 12:00 pm HST. Register Here.
- Dec 3, 2020 10:00 AM ET/ 09:00 am CT/ 8:00 am MT/ 7:OO am PT/ 3:00 am HST. Register Here.
- Dec 4, 2020 01:00 PM ET/ 12:00 pm CT/ 11:00 am MT/ 10:00 am PT/ 7:00 am HST. . Register Here.
- Dec 5, 2020 01:00 PM ET / 12:00 pm CT/ 11:00 am MT/ 10:00 am PT/ 7:00 am HST. . Register Here.
- Dec 6, 2020 11:00 AM ET/ 10:00 am CT/ 9:00 am MT/ 8:00 am PT/ 5:00 am HST. . Register Here.
- Dec 7, 2020 05:00 PM ET/ 4:00 pm CT/ 3:00 pm MT/ 2:00 pm PT/ 11:00 am HST (In Spanish) Register Here.
- Dec 8, 2020 11:00 AM ET/ 10:00 am CT/ 9:00 am MT/ 8:00 am PT/ 5:00 am HST. (In Spanish) Register Here.
- Dec 9, 2020 06:00 PM ET/5:00 pm CT/ 4:00 pm MT/ 3:00 pm PT/11:00 am HST. Register Here.
- Dec 10, 2020 10:00 AM ET / 09:00 am CT/ 8:00 am MT/ 7:OO am PT/ 3:00 am HST. . Register Here.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
How can we take action if we don’t know what to do? Hollaback! is offering this free, one-hour, interactive training to train people on how to safely intervene when you witness street harassment — or experience it yourself.
During this training you’ll learn a clear, adaptable, and expert-approved set of tools that have been proven to reduce the prevalence of street harassment: Hollaback!’s 5D’s of bystander intervention.
We’ll start by deepening our understanding of street harassment and its impact. Then, we’ll talk through five strategies for intervention: distract, delegate, document, delay, and direct; and how to prioritize your own safety while intervening. We’ll also talk about what to do if you’re worried the violence will turn on you and how to avoid escalating the situation.
Then, we’ll talk about what to do if you experience harassment and give you tools to safely get your power back. We’ll have time at the end for practice. Exit polls show 98.8% of attendees leave the training feeling like there is at least one thing they can do the next time they witness harassment.
WHY STREET HARASSMENT MATTERS
Street harassment is an experience that devalues people of all sexual orientations, cultures and beliefs causing them to doubt their own experiences. When we watch harassment happen without intervening, it deepens the trauma for the person being harassed and shows the person doing the harassing that their behavior is OK. We want to disrupt this dynamic one intervention at a time.
When we see someone fall, or drop something in public, we instinctively help out. Why don’t we have the same reaction when we see someone being sexually harassed? We see it happen, but uncomfortably look away. We feel the urge to speak up, but stay cautiously silent. We all want to do something about it, but don’t know what. Or worse, we end up thinking it’s “not a big deal.” Not knowing what constitutes street harassment and what to do, limits our ability to take action, chipping away at the self-worth of men and women who suffer from street harassment.
WHAT ARE THE GOALS OF THE CAMPAIGN?
In 2020, Hollaback!, L’Oréal Paris, the NYC Commission on Gender Equity, and the NYC Mayor’s Office to End Domestic and Gender-Based Violence join forces to ensure everyone’s self-worth, leveraging Hollaback!’s 5 D’s methodology to help people safely intervene when they experience or witness harassment in public spaces. The goal of the Stand Up program in the US is to train 40,000 people to become Upstanders before the end of 2021 and ultimately build a culture where street harassment is seen as unacceptable behavior. Globally, the campaign will train 1,000,000 people before the end of 2021.