A Week In Our Shoes: Raise For Women Challenge

News from New York:

• PRESS! Hollaback! got a generous shout out in journalist Josh Sterns’ blog “Talking to Strangers” and in the Globe and Mail’s piece on Lego’s sexist mini-figures. We were also featured in Vassar’s student newspaper, The Miscellany News and in YC Teen Magazine!
  • PUBLICATIONS! To launch our RaiseForWomen Challenge with the Huffington post and Half the Sky, Deputy Director Debjani wrote a awesome article for the Huffington Post! Read about why increasing criminalization is not the answer to street harassment.
  • ADVOCACY! Emily and Jae met with Councilmember Ferreras’s staff to plan out another safety audit! Stay tuned. Emily also met with staffers from Councilmember Wills office this week.
  • PARTNERS! Jae, Lindsey, and Emily had lunch with the Feminists Women’s Health Centers of California to discuss collaboration.

News from around the world:

Hollaback! Brussels welcomes a guest entry on their blog in post by Emilie Van Limbergen. If you can read Dutch, check it out! In human rights news, Hollaback! Brussels is standing in strong support of rape victims and the organization “Rise Against Rape.” They are asking everyone to join them. This August 31, 2013 is the trial of the rapist, Taufik Ahaddouch, the a man who raped five young girls after being REALEASED from the justice system after raping another seven. This case represents serious failure of the justice system as a whole and the trial must be well-attended with supporters of the victims and allies against rape.

Hollaback! Philly’s projects coordinator, Anna, wrote a kickass article in the Huffington Post s part of the RaiseforWomen Challenge. With an incredible sense of humor, Philly hollas back at the “Ask Papa” advice columnist of the Philadelphia City Paper. Finally, check out the POWERFUL video tour of Philly’s Anti-Street Harassment Chalk Walk featuring our hollas and allies:

Meet Us on the Sidewalk from Kara Lieff on Vimeo.

Hollaback! Melbourne announces the launch of their  new series The F Word, a bi-weekly discussion of feminism, what it means, and issues that face feminists and humanists in the world today. This is going to be awesome, stay tuned!

Hollaback! Gent posted an extended discussion regarding LGBTQ experiences of street harassment and explores possible solutions.

Hollaback! Chemnitz covers their launch party and zine release! Check out what the new site has been up to! Screen shot 2013-05-02 at 5.20.39 PM

Hollaback! Chandigarh was featured in Femina, a well known women’s magazine in India! The issue covers Rubina’s story and how Hollaback! Chandigarh got started. This week, the site posted an essential resource on their site this week titled, “Ten Things You Need to Know About the Sexual Harassment at Workplace Law,” breaking down important facts and clarifications on the anti-sexual harassment law put in place in India last year.

Hollaback! West Yorkshire is getting ready for their street harassment workshop, scheduled for June 1st! The site is also announcing that they are now accepting submissions their upcoming zine on street harassment! Stories, poems, drawings, and pictures are all welcome! Holla at the via wy@ihollaback.org with `zine submission’ in the header.

Hollaback! Baltimore presents….“4 Quotes from 4 Famous Male Allies.” Read these, they’re great!

Hollaback! Boston has released this week’s edition of Introducing!, an ongoing series where hollas interview Bostonians. This week, Boston hollas interviewed L, a friend of Hollaback! Boston who blogs anonymously at 5 Cities 6 Women. Next Thursday, May 9, Hollaback! Boston will be joining Fenway Health and IMPACT Boston next for a workshop on responding safely to street harassment how how to be an effective bystander. In honor of National Bike Month, hollas are calling for cyclists’ street harassment stories. Send them in!

Author:

No Responses

Author comments are in a darker gray color for you to easily identify the posts author in the comments