Published on March 22,2013 at 9:58 am in A Week in Our Shoes
, no comments
Dear Hollabackers –
News from the mothership:
- POLICY! This week we met with staffers from Councilmember Ferreras and Garodnick’s offices in preparation for our upcoming rally on April 13th. Can you make it?
- PARTNERS! I had the lucky opportunity to have dinner with our board member and the Founder of Girls Fight Back, Erin Weed, as well as her friend Ross Szabo, who does incredible work around mental illness.
- PRESS! Our Deputy Director Debjani was featured on WPIX this week discussing the NYPD’s problematic policy when it comes to addressing domestic violence! Check her out! Also, Hollaback! was featured in Policy Mic this week and I was featured as a trailblazer in Catalysta!
- TRAVEL! I’m in Atlanta this week, and got to meet with our incredible leader of Hollaback Atlanta at a performance of the Vagina Monologues. I’m speaking at the Southern Panhellenic conference later today — wish me luck!
Now, for news around the world:
- Hollaback! Philly met their fundraising goal! Their anti street harassment comic book campaign was featured in Glamour this week. INCREDIBLE.
- Hollaback Poland wrote a summary of their research that was published by the World Bank! Check it out here.
- Hollaback! Chandigarh did an awesome HOLLAWho? Interview. Read up on how these hollas got their start!
- Hollaback! Melbourne is recruiting a tech support person for their site. This is an important role in our movement! If you think you know someone who would be interested, here is the position info.
- Hollaback! Buenos Aires shed light on an important issue this week, detailing a very serious incident of victim blaming and the incarceration of a harassment victim who attempted to defend herself.
- Hollaback! Brussels announces…chalk walks! The site created a BEAUTIFUL Tumblr to document chalk walks everywhere.
- Hollaback! Alberta will be tabling at the first institutionally supported Pride Week at the University of Alberta March 13-22. U of A’s Pride week will include a whole slew of awesome events including a kickass after party.
- Hollaback! Montreal posted some important sources for information and analysis of the Steubenville rape case. The kind of violence displayed by both the rapists and the media is precisely the objectifying and dehumanizing attitude towards women we are fighting against at Hollaback! Keep those hollas coming, y’all.
- Hollaback! Ottawa had some big press AGAIN this week! The site was interviewed by the Ottawa Sun on the subject of sexual harassment on public transportation. Fantastic work, Hollas!
- Hollaback! Dresden is planning a whole list of events for the next few weeks. The site also posted a great article about harassment in the community and how it affects the people of Germany.
- Hollaback! Edinburgh has completed their street harassment survey and come out with a full report based on their findings. After the release of the report, the site was featured in the Edinburgh Evening Standard and Post Mag!! Amazing!!
- Hollaback! London has been invited for a second year in a row to take part in Queen Mary University’s feminist festival, Festival 51 March 18-22! The site will be running a workshop on street harassment that Tuesday.
- Hollaback! Baltimore‘s blogger, Rebecca Evans wrote a great piece this week called, “It’s Not A Compliment”, a candid account of her personal experience with street harassment and the repercussions it has on life as a whole.
- Hollaback! Boston‘s site leader Britni speaks out against cosmic “douche canoe”, Alex Blimes, the editor of Esquire UK after his nonchalantly-uttered articulation that women in his magazine being objectified and why its ok. OY VEY. Way to Hollaback, Britni!
- Hollaback! Des Moines interviewed Kelly Gallagher, young filmmaker and creator of I AM THE MACE. Learn about Kelly’s inspiration for the film and the impact it’s having in her community.
- Hollaback! Fredericksburg just published their awesome events list for Anti Street Harassment Week! Its only a few weeks away–get excited!
- Hollaback! NYC is gearing up for their big Eileen Fisher event! This weekend, our Empire Hollas will be gathering at Eileen Fisher stores to table and raise awareness about Hollaback!
- Hollaback! RVA is hosting a zine workshop this sunday in honor of Anti Street Harassment week! Also, Richmond Hollablogger Chase wrote an awesome piece about the Bystander Effect and how to stop harassment situations from perpetuating.
HOLLA and out –
Author comments are in a darker gray color for you to easily identify the posts author in the comments
Leave a Reply